Chris Davy is the director of Davy Associates Ltd, with over 25 years local experience.
Initially Chris started out as a building surveyor with a local practice of Architects and Surveyors he developed a greater interest in Architecture, planning and construction. Working for local practices he then set up an architectural department in Structural Engineering consultancy. Moving to larger international companies in multi-disciplined environments he spent several years on overseas projects in Japan, Middle East, Far East and Europe, working on varied design projects and then back to working with local Architects. Eventually, he set up his own Architectural practice in his home town, to work on his favourite area of local residential projects.
Davy Associates experience ranges from small domestic extensions to large individually designed houses; and from older listed buildings to very modern designs. We work closely with other local architects, structural engineers, builders, Town planning and Building control departments, enabling us to take a project successfully from beginning to end.
We have made over 150 planning applications to Dacorum Borough Council alone, and well in excess of 100 Building Regulation Approval applications, with an excellent success rate. The evidence is there on their website!
For all projects you need:
- > Someone with good local knowledge of what can be done. Planning can be a minefield and there may be local restrictive covenants and planning conditions.
- > Someone with the ability to convert ideas into practical reality. Most people have an idea of what they want, they just need somebody to help them put it all together in a way that gives integrity, uniformity and unity.
- > Someone with good technical ability and sound practical experience, an understanding of building construction materials and methods. A good understanding of building regulations. With recent changes to the building regulations, it is vital that these are taken on board at the beginning. You cannot come up with a design and then hope to make it work within the building regulations as an after thought...
- > Someone who works well with local builders and has their respect. A working knowledge of various building contracts ensuring fairness for both parties and achieving value for money service. Utilising builders' craftsmanship, skills and experience. Preparing schedules of work and specification to prevent misunderstandings and a level playing field for builders to quote fairly, controlling payments, negotiating variations and settling final accounts in a professional manner.
- > Flexibility in an environment of ever changing requirements.
Chris Davy is a member of the National Building Specification Advisory Panel and is a founder member of the Dacorum Architectural Forum, which consists of a group of local architects, designers, surveyors and consultants who meet regularly with Dacorum Borough Council to discuss local planning issues and policy development. Committed to furthering his continued professional development and keeping up with the developments in legislation, changes and challenges in our profession. Undertaking courses on the Code for Sustainable Design and the Homes and Communities Academy's course on creating sustainable communities.
A family man, often wrestling to achieve a better work/life balance and losing, Chris enjoys Scuba diving and sailing and sharing in that with his family. Firmly believing one should put something back into the community for what you take out. He helps with instructing and in the running of the clubs he belongs to. A former school governor, former member of church councils and synods, a member of Hemel Hempstead District Scouts Water Activities group. Taking social responsibilities seriously does sometimes conflict with a healthy interest in real ale!